OUR BAR TEAM
With the help of two of LA’s most accomplished mixologists,
Billy Ray (Blind Barber / 13 Stiches) & Mark Grubb (Picca),
we’ve assembled a world class team of bartenders who are
passionate about crafting great libations in a friendly, neighborhood setting.
Forgoing the pomp and pretension that accompany many “mixology” bars,
the Proper aims to provide really good cocktails,
made with care and served with a smile.
- Hometown: Los Angeles, CA
- Favorite Gins: Tanqueray Malacca, The Botonist, St. George Botanivore
- Approach to Bartending: Cocktails with a Smile
- Most important thing in Making A Great Cocktail: Presentation & Care. Treat the cocktail as if you’re making it for yourself.
- Best Cocktail He’s Created: Angel’s Kiss
- Hometown: Cincinnati, OH
- Favorite Spirit: Whiskey was my first love, then we broke up for a little while but we are back on great terms. While whiskey and I were on the outs I spent most of my senior year of college pouring tequila at an awesome tequila bar in Cincinnati. Tequila and I really gave things a good run, but now that I am a little older I am thinking more and more that I could settle down with Gin for a bit before I retire and drink exclusively Scotch like my old man.
- Favorite Garnish: Fire – Flamed Zests are always great – Shaved cucumber is a pretty sexy garnish too though.
- Nickname: Mittens
- Hometown: Fresno, CA
- Favorite Cocktail: The Devil’s Gate because it’s unique and fiery. Kind of like me!
- Favorite Gin: St. George Terrior because it’s from my home state and tastes like Christmas and summertime in a glass all at the same time. I also like Cream Gin from London. It is quite tasty, and I like to imagine myself drinking it where it originated – in the Victorian Gin Palaces on Drury Lane.
- Biggest Bar Peeve: Just don’t ever snap your fingers at me and call me bar wench, and we’ll be just fine.
- Hometown: Santa Barbara, CA
- Favorite Cocktail: Mai Tai. I’ve been hooked ever since Trader Vic’s.
- Favorite Gin: Now that I’m working at The Proper, with hundreds of gins, my favorite changes frequently. This week John Peet turned me on to Caprock; love it. Organic small batch distillery in Colorado offering a lot more than the signature “juniper forward” profile. Apple, Rose, Lavender. It’s a winner. Also, tasting Nolet’s Reserve is a rare treat I recently enjoyed. Saffron and Verbena linger for about 30 seconds after tasting– it’s a class act spirit.
- Approach to Cocktailing: Look to the Classics. They are loved, famous, and timeless for a reason.
- Nickname: Bodie
- Hometown: Washington, DC
- Favorite Gin: Nolet’s and Martin Miller… Very refreshing and floral. Delicate and approachable.
- Approach to Cocktailing: People go to bars for an experience. Not just a cocktail.
- Biggest Bar Peeve: “I hate gin. I only like vodka.”