Abused by barmen across the land, when made with fresh ingredients in the proper proportions this modern classic is as delicious as it is lovely.
When properly made this drink is actually more tart than sweet. Orange Cointreau and a splash of Cranberry provide the only sweet elements and,by using fresh lime rather than sours mix, as many bars do, you end up with a cocktail which is fresh, bright, balanced and… not “girly”or “mullet-y” at all.
The Proper Cosmo
- 1.5 oz. Citrus Vodka (we use Ketel One Citron)
- .75 oz. Cointreau
- 1 oz. Cranberry Juice Cocktail (Ocean Spray is fine)
- 1/4 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
Combine all ingredients in a shaker. Shake long and hard with the biggest ice you can find.
Pour into a cocktail glass (ideally a coupe). Garnish with a flamed orange. See below.
To flame an orange peel…
- With a vegetable peeler, remove a strip of orange rind about half an inch wide and two inches long.
- Using a match or lighter, flame the outside of the rind for 20-30 seconds to caramelize the sugars.
- Squeeze the flamed rind over the cocktail several times – rind-side out. This will release the caramelized oils of the citrus into the cocktail – which will add to the flavor but, even more importantly, the “nose” of the drink. If it’s a fresh orange you will actually be able to see it spray.