THE INDIAN SUMMER
Angel Meza / Flintridge Proper
Angel created this cocktail to celebrate those strangely warm days that sneak up and surprise us once we’re convinced Autumn has settled in for good. The apple and cinnamon evoke the flavors of fall while the lemon and pear provide a sunny brightness that reminds us of those last sunny, summery days before the long winter.
According to Angel, The Indian Summer is also a “great gateway cocktail for those who don’t like to taste the alcohol” in their cocktails.”
The Indian Summer
- 1.5 oz. New World-style Gin (We like the earthy notes in Caorunn Small Batch Scottish Gin)
- .25 oz Bourbon
- .25 oz. Pear Liquor
- .5 oz. Cinnamon/Apple Puree* (see below)
- .75 oz. Fresh Lemon Lemon
- .25 oz. Honey (1:1 Honey/Water)
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake long and hard with the largest ice cubes you can find.
Double strain into a cocktail glass (ideally a Nick and Nora).
Garnish with an apple fan and grated cinnamon.
* Cinnamon Apple Puree – To make this Angel slow cooks sliced peeled apples in equal parts simple syrup and water for about 45 minutes. Then strains and purees in a blender until smooth.