Somerset, KY (Recipe)
John Peet / The Flintridge Proper
John, an Ohio boy, created this drink to celebrate the Kentucky town where his family would gather to enjoy the change of season as “Summer Sets.”
- 2 oz. Bourbon
- 1/2 oz. Honey Syrup (1:1 water/honey)
- 1 oz. Scottish Pumpkin Puree* (see below)
- Dash of bitters (Ideally barrel-aged but Angostura will do.)
Combine all ingredients in a shaker. Shake long and hard with the largest ice you can find.
Strain into a cocktail glass (ideally a coupe). No garnish.
* Scottish Pumpkin Puree
John’s “highly scientific” method for measuring is fairly loose, reminiscent of the style of the late, great Jerry Thomas…
- A blender full of skinned, cooked pumpkin
- A rough’s night’s worth of Blended Scotch (About 8 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 oz. simple syrup
Then he blends it until smooth.